The Haney-Gillespie house is one of the oldest houses on Church Street. It was built circa 1885 by Dr. Haney a Madison physician. Mr. Haney lived there until 1903. The house changed hands several times until Mr. and Mrs. William C. Gillespie purchased it in 1928. Mr. Gillespie was superintendent of Madison Waterworks for many years.
The L-shaped house is a good example of a late nineteenth century cottage with its Victorian gingerbread decoration. Decorative brackets are attached to the ends of the wooden version of a string course which extends across the front of the house. The corner porches at front and back have partially turned posts with brackets that connect the gingerbread decorations on the cornice boards.
The house remained in the Gillespie family until Mrs. Gillespie's death in 1994. Her husband died in 1985.